Monday, May 5, 2014

My visit to ATP Munich

Last week I was able to fulfil one of my dreams and see ATP-level tennis live. I visited the BMW Open in Munich on the quarterfinals day. Now I want to share some of my photos from that day.

The club house of the tennis club MTTC Iphitos.

The club house of the tennis club MTTC Iphitos.

A Rolls-Royce on display at the club.

Jakob Schnaitter in a junior match.

The winner's prize car in front of the scoreboard.

The doubles team of John Peers and Jamie Murray.

The doubles team of Eric Butorac and Raven Klaasen.

The catering area.

The Info Tower.

The centre court in Munich.

Next I will go to the singles matches played on the centre court.

Martin Kližan def. Denis Istomin 7-6(3), 1-6, 6-1


I missed the first two sets of the match but saw most of the third which was total destruction by Kližan. Kližan had a bad 2013 season but he has had some good results on clay this year and eventually he won the Munich tournament.

Kližan serving against Istomin.

Tommy Haas def. Andreas Seppi 6-3, 3-6, 6-3


Tommy Haas is one of my favourite players so it was great to see him playing. Unfortunately he has had shoulder issues this year and he isn't playing on his best level. Still, he could produce some nice shots and it was great to see him winning in front of a German crowd.

Haas hitting a backhand against Seppi.

Haas hitting a volley.

Seppi serving.

Fabio Fognini def. Thomaz Bellucci 6-2, 6-2


You can hear people saying Fabio Fognini is the dark horse of the French Open. I must say I didn't see it in this match why he could have big success at Roland Garros. Bellucci was playing more offensively and hit some flashy winners. But he made way too many errors, which even made the crowd frustrated.

Fognini (left) and Bellucci (right) warming up.

Fognini hitting a forehand.

Bellucci hitting a volley.

Players shaking hands after the match.

Jan-Lennard Struff def. Ričardas Berankis 4-6, 6-3, 6-4


I was one of the few people in the crowd whose favourite was Berankis as Struff played in front of his home crowd. Struff is a tall player with a big serve. Berankis, on the other hand, is small for a tennis player and can't rely on outpowering his opponents but he has more variety in his game than Struff. Berankis was doing the right things and took the first set from Struff. In the second and third sets he was unable to break Struff's serve, though, and Struff was able to break Berankis once in both sets to win the match.

Struff serving against Berankis.

Berankis hitting a volley.

Struff giving signatures after winning the match.

All in all, it was a great day. I think you can get more of the game when you are watching it on site compared to watching it from TV. You can see e.g. spin better as well as things like bounce height or net clearance. This was my first tournament visit and definitely not the last. I can recommend all tennis fans going to a tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment